Posted: Tue, November 10, 2015 | By: Education
Dear Generous Donors
Thanks again for your wonderful kindness in donating to the Brighter Brains Institute’s humanitarian work in Uganda.
This update will let you know how the dozens projects are progressing, and it will let you know what we intend to do in 2016. We have completed or are engaged in, about 40 projects.
Brighter Brains Institute works with people of multiple belief systems in Uganda. 50% of our funding goes to secular/humanist/atheist projects; other activities are with Catholics, Jews, Mormons, Pentecostals, Anglicans, and multi-denominational Christian groups.
Brighter Brains presently has 8 clinics in western Uganda. Each clinic serves a community of young children, affiliated with a primary school, orphanage, orphanage school, or nursery school. The clinics provide free medical care, many also provide free lunches, and shoes or sandals. Each clinic costs between $1,200 - $2,800 (usually around $1,500). Budget pays for the medicine, additional medical supplies, and medic’s salary (the medic diagnosis the diseases and administers treatment). Sample Clinic Report is HERE
The clinics are:
Pellissier Science Laboratory #1 — serves 325 children at Kasese Humanist Primary School. Links here
Pellissier Science Laboratory #2 — serves 162 children at Vision Care School in Kyarumba. Links here
Eric Oliver Clinic #1 — serves 204 orphans at Rays of Light Orphanage School in Kyarumba. Links here
Eric Oliver Clinic #2 — serves 110 children at St. Luke’s Nursery School in Kyarumba. Links here
Biba Kavass Student Clinic — serves 120 children at St. Thomas Nursery School in Kyarumba. Links here
Embrace Global Change Clinic - serves 125 orphans at Nyakiyumbu Widow Orphanage School. Links here
H+ Clinic - serves 200 children at Bwethe Primary School. Links here
Andrea Vogt Clinic - will serve 200+ children at BiZoHa Orphanage and School in Muhokya. Links here
Brighter Brains Institute intends to launch 8 more clinics in 2016, all in Western Uganda. Our priority is to establish clinics in rural areas where there are no other clinics. This will save lives that would otherwise be lost to malaria. Brighter Brains also needs to find new sponsors for three of the already-established clinics.
If you or your group is interested in sponsoring or co-sponsoring a clinic, please contact email@example.com
We can connect you to community leaders and show you multiple schools in Western Uganda that desperately need a clinic.
We are also looking for kind benefactors who want to provide free lunches to the children. Many of the children, especially the orphans, are undernourished and can’t study properly, or mentally and physically develop in an optimal way. Free lunch is inexpensive and it consists primarily of beans and corn meal.
If you sponsor a clinic, your name is displayed on a sign above the clinics’s front door. Plus you receive regular updates on the children’s health and the diseases your clinic is combatting, plus photographs of the children your clinic serves.
If you sponsor a free lunch program, you will receive photographs of the happy children eating the food your provided.
BIZOHA ORPHANGE AND HUMANIST SCHOOL
Brighter Brains Institute’s biggest project in 2015 was the launch of BiZoHa - the world’s “first atheist orphanage.” BBI raised about $23,000 for this project.
Funds were primarily spent on building construction of a girl’s dormitory, boys’ dormitory, kitchen, roadside stand, and six classroom. The majority of buildings were funded by single individuals or family groups, at a cost of $925 - $1,700 (classroom price is $1,000). Additionally, BBI raised funds for two solar panels, two water filtration systems, furniture, staff members, cooking utensils, bedding, tools, fencing, and bathrooms.
Orphans have already been moved into the facility and the primary school will open in 2016. BiZoHa has its own website here.
Generous donors for projects at BiZoHa include:
Rainwater Harvesting Tank (Oguz Poroy)
Funds are still needed to sponsor the orphans ($250 per year), to build two more classrooms, to pay teachers and staff administrators, and to build a Guest Hostel for volunteers. To find out more, visit the Brighter Brains BiZoHa channel here, or the BiZoHa website, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
UNIQUE SMALLER PROJECTS
Brighter Brains Institute is involved in multiple other humanitarian projects in the region. Here is a long list of what we have done:
1. A Science & Literacy Classroom was set up in Kyarumba, for local students and the general populace. This facility costs $1,100 for the year. The classroom was sponsored by three groups.
2. A Music Classroom was set up in Kyarumba, for local students and the community. The cost was about $850. The classroom was sponsored by an individual. Link can be found here
3. A Creativity Lab was set up at Kasese Humanist Primary School, for the students there. The cost was about $1,000. A keyboard, video camera, and art supplies were provided by a generous individual. Links here
4. Swing set was set up at Kyarumba Middle school. Cost was $500; paid for by one individual.
5. Brighter Brains Institute donated funds to help set up a Computer school in Masaka.
6. Numerous individuals purchased Kikoy dresses for orphan girls at Nyakiyumbu Widows Orphanage School, COISER Orphanage in Jinja, and Kasese Humanist Primary School.
7. Brighter Brains Institute purchased socks for Abayudaya (Jewish) orphans in eastern Uganda.
8. Four scholarships were provided to send Nyakiyumbu Widow Orphanage School students to Kasese Humanist Primary School. Cost $250 per student, funds provided by one individual.
9. Free clothes were provided to orphans at Nyakiyumbu Widows Orphanage School. Donors were numerous individuals. Link can be found here
10. Shoes and sandals were provided to orphans at Kasese Humanist Primary School. Cost of $175 was provided by one individual. link can be found here:
11. Shoes and sandals were provided to orphans at Rays of Light Orphanage School. Funding was provided by one individual. links can be found here
13. Free lunches were provided for one term to orphans at Nyakiyumbu Widow Orphanage School. Funds were provided by numerous individuals. Link can be found here
15. Free lunches were provided for one term to children at St. Luke’s Nursery School. Funds were provided by one individual. links can be found here
16. 325 children were de-wormed at Kasese Humanist Primary School.
19. Multiple children and orphans were sponsored at BiZoHa Orphanage School and Kasese Humanist Primary School. Cost is $125 per student at KHPS and $250 for orphans at BiZoHa. Links are here and here.
20. Brighter Brains Institute Board members Melissa McAllister and Masereka Solomon raised funds for sports equipment, educational equipment, and arts supplies at Kasese Humanist Primary School. Link here
21. Multiple donors donated $1,100 for tools, for the Carpenter’s Workshop of AIDS Orphans in Kyarumba, Uganda.
22. Free lunches were provided to Bwethe school children link. here
23. Brighter Brains Institute donated money to an orphanage in the Congo
24. Brighter Brains Institute delivered “powdered food” to street children in Kyarumba.
25. Brighter Brains Institute raised $3,100 from numerous individuals to fund an “egg farm” to support COISER Orphanage in Jinja
26. Seventy-three items of clothing were hand-sewed by “Dress Me Charity” and delivered to the orphans at BiZoHa
If you, your family, school, business, or group, would like to sponsor a unique activity, like any of the ones listed above, please contact email@example.com
Brighter Brains Institute needs money for a wide variety of services.
The annual inspection in Uganda costs at least $2,000
The t-shirt gifts are inexpensive, but the mailing costs, especially internationally, can be quite high.
Wiring funds, website maintenance, meeting costs…
In 2016 Brighter brains Institute will occasionally reserve 10-20% of donations for administration costs.
Brighter Brains Institute provides a “channel” to anyone who donates $500 or more to one or multiple projects that we sponsor. Your humanitarian activity and photographs of the the children your serve are cataloged here for easy reference. If you have donated this amount, please let us know.
If you’re interested in contributing to any of our future projects, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contributions can be made via the PayPal button on our BrighterBrains.org homepage, or you can mail a check to Brighter Brains Institute, 425 Moraga Avenue, Piedmont, California, 94611 USA
All donors receive a tax deductible receipt via email or snail mail. We guarantee that we will get the receipt to you in 2 weeks or less.
Donors to certain projects receive free t-shirts, or free ebooks.
Please contact us if you’d like to go to Uganda and be a volunteer at any of these projects. We are happy to help you, and the children, medics, and teaching staff in Uganda would be delighted to see you.