Posted: Wed, March 08, 2017 | By: Humanism & Atheism
Brighter Brains Institute has recently established “benchmarks” for humanism in the schools we sponsor in Uganda, to guarantee that the students (and faculty) successfully learn about humanism. The idea was initiated by Anthony Pinn, a new Board member at BBI. Many of the specifics were suggested by Bwambale Robert Musubaho, director of the BiZoHa Humanist Center and the Kasese Hinted Humanist Association.
Currently, there are eight humanist schools in Uganda that BBI is assisting. These regulations are required for them to maintain BBI support.
Other schools in the region that want to partner with BBI can do so if they meet these standards.
Humanist Schools sponsored by Brighter Brains Institute will:
1. Display a Humanist school sign post at their school. (by April 1, 2017)
2. The humanist symbol needs to be painted on the side of a school building that can be seen by the public. (by July 1, 2017)
3. Display Ten Humanist Principles on their walls. (by April 1, 2017)
4. Have a Facebook page online - as a Humanist School. (by June 1, 2017)
5. Condoms need to be available in the school clinic, and sex education needs to be presented to the older students. (by May 1, 2017)
6. The school must be willing to defend itself from priests and ministers if it is attacked for its humanism. (by May 1, 2017)
7. Celebrate Secular days to create awareness of humanism. (by May 2017)
- February 12 - Darwin’s Birthday
- March 8 - International Women’s Day
- June 21 - World Humanist Day / Summer Solstice
- October 12 - Freethought Day
8. Say no to corporal punishment in their school (immediately)
9. Send photographs of the teachers and their teaching credentials to Brighter Brains Institute. (by May 2017)
10. For 1 hour every week, Humanist Principles are discussed in each class; the children’s questions and the teachers’ replies are shared with BBI. (by May 2017)
11. Students and teachers are tested on the Humanist Principles by a representative from the BiZoHa Humanist Center.
12. Use the school rules and regulations of the BiZoHa Humanist Center. (by May 2017)
13. Create Humanist clubs in their schools to pursue developmental activities (by October 1, 2017)
14. Have humanist counselors in their schools. (by October 1, 2017)
15. Essays on humanism from the older children are delivered to BBI. The children who write the best essays receive prize money. (by October 1, 2017)
16. Finish all BBI projects on time, and within the budget, that the school and BBI agreed upon. (April 1, 2017)
17. Spend BBI funds only on the needs that the funds were allocated for. (April 1, 2017)
18. Thank all donors with emails and/or photographs. (April 1, 2017)
19. Humanist schools must correspond quickly and reliably with Brighter Brains Institute — if BBI emails them, they need to respond within 7 days.