Posted: Fri, April 13, 2018 | By: Ghana
A CRITICAL THINKING WORKSHOP HELD AT OXFORD PREPARATORY SCHOOL ON 6TH APRIL 2018.
THE AIM OF THE MEETING IS TO END A SUPERSTITIOUS BELIEFS IN GHANA. THEME: FEMALE GENITAL MULTILATION/ FEMALE CIRCUMCISION.
Female Genital Multilation also known as Female Circumcision is the ritual cutting or removal of some or all of the external female genitalia.
In Ghana FGM is still practice in the three Northern Regions. some ethnic groups including the Kusasis, Frafras, Kassenas, Busangas, Wallas, Dagarbas, Builsas and Sisalas practice it. Some ethnic groups in the Brong Ahafo and the Volta Region also practices the FGM.
In this case the clitoris of the female children are being cut off either 7 days after birth or when they get to their adolescent stage.
Some of the tools which are used to carry out the practice are: knife,broken glass or blade.
Some of the reasons assigned for the practice of the FGM among the ethnic groups were to;
* promote social cohesion in the sense that it was obligatory for one to go through the excercise before being accepted to become a full member of the group of the society that practice it.
* it is also said that the FGM signified the bravely of womanhood and if a woman is able to stand it implies that she would be able to bear the pains during child birth.
* Again some of the group believes that the clitoris has the power to kill a baby if it comes into contact with the clitoris during childbirth. The secretion of the clitoris is believed it can also kill the sperms of a man.
* Others also have the belief that unexcised girls are expose to uncontrollabe sex drive and that the uncut clitoris could arouse intense sexual desire.
* Lastly, it is also believed that the FGM enhances male sexual pleasure where the vaginal opening is made very small by suturing. They argue that satisfying was very important as the woman is expected to provide that service to the man.
But the study of science has made us to know that, all these assumptions behind the practice of the FGM are all fallacy and is rather causing more harm to the victims.
The study of science has made us to know some of the DANGERS or EFFECTS associated in carrying out FGM. Some of the effects it had on the victims are as follows:
Most of the victims of FGM become barren and could not deliver.
Some also die as a result of intensive bleeding after undergoing FGM.
Victims of the FGM are also likely to be affected with tetanus when the tools that is used to operate them becomes rusted.
Again, some of the victims can also be affected with HIV due to the use of an unsterilised tools.
Furthermore some of the victims experience difficulty in passing urine due to the cause of the damage urethra. other victims also experience difficulties in menstrual flows and pains during sexual intercourse.
Fom the pupils views according to the above analysis, they affairm that the practice of the FGM is very cruel, inhuman and degrading.
Others also said that, it is an abuse of the physical and psychological state of the victims.
Again they protest that is a form of discriminating against girls and women and also it promote gender inequalities that all must be condemned.
Another views was that a law must be enforce to deal with those who engage in them such as imprisonment and fines.
Nevertheless, others also stood with the motion that, those groups need to be educated as they don’t have more insight of practicing them.
Now, as the pupils have had more insight about the FGM and the dangers associated with it through scientific research, they all stood up and claimed that is it wicked and
inhuman act and it needs to be abolished!